[WT-support] Question about CW weight

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Dec 12 16:55:43 CET 2008

Thanks again Bob,

> Unfortunately it only has a dash/dot ratio control
> (shortcut = WEIGHT),
> default = 3.0, range is 2.0 to 4.0.  I agree it is not
> very useful compared
> to a true weighting control that would increase each dot
> or dash by a fixed
> percentage.

It is not useful at all, it is an error.

There are two things that are useful.

One is a compensation to make up for a rig that truncates
every element by a fixed time amount regardless of speed.

The second is a weight control to make slower CW cut through
noise better. At 35 WPM we might want less weight, but at 20
WPM we might want a little more weight.

Ratio (which is what the weight is really) only makes the CW
sound abnormal and has no useful functuion unless you want
to make it sound like a side-swiper paddle or bug.

> Just so I understand your example, "10% weighting" would
> make a dot 1.1
> bauds long, and a dash 3.3 bauds long, but the space
> between each dot or
> dash would still be 1.0 bauds long?

The textbook normal weight of a CW signal is 50%. A dot
would be one time unit on and one off. A dash three time
units on and one time unit off.

If we wanted to increase weight to 75%, the dot on would be
1.5 time units and off would be .5 time units. A dash would
be on 4.5 time units and off .5 time units. A dash is always
three dot on periods long. The off time is always the same
between consecutive dots and dashes.

> In normal QRQ contesting (35-40 WPM), I've found keying
> compensation more
> valuable than a "10% weight" type control.  It seems many
> rigs shorten a dot
> or dash by a fixed amount, regardless of keying speed.

This does not have that feature either. Weight is a matter
of getting a heavier or lighter sound. It was reported the
weight of my signal was too light for a weak signal.

> But at slower (160m?) contesting speeds (20-30 WPM),
> adding weight could
> certainly be helpful.

It is very helpful but very difficult to do externally.

> I think you're going to seriously have to consider the
> purchase of a WinKey
> USB device to get exactly what you want, as the developers
> are focused on
> other areas of the code right now.  LPT/SERIAL CW
> enhancements don't seem to
> be high on the priority list, since these legacy ports are
> disappearing from
> all the newer PCs.

So are you saying the WinKey will allow adjustment of weight
when I am using the function keys to send CW? I do not want
keying compensation, I can easily build a pulse stretcher
circuit. I need to adjust weight.

I may not uderstand how WinKey works. I don't see how that
has anything to do with legacy ports. Somehow the CW has to
come out as an off and on signal, and if it comes out
"wrong" when Wintest is sending something I don't see how an
external device can easily correct it unless it is
regenerated somehow.

How can WinKey correct or adjust the weight from an external
input? I don't want keying comensation or ratio, I want a
weight control that actually adjusts weight and not ratio
when the function controls are being used.

> Sometimes it's easier to throw hardware at a problem than
> to risk changing
> the code and breaking something else. That's one of the
> reasons they decided
> not to risk adding paddle input via LPT to Win-Test even
> though many (?)
> requested it.

Paddle input has nothing to do with it Bob, and it is very
difficult (at least as I understand) to fix externally. I
don't use an external paddle into the computer, I have an
external keyer in parallel with the computer keying output.
None of the operators have every wanted to use the computer
to generate the paddle CW.

What some of the operators want, and what I would like, is a
weight adjustment. I don't see what that has to do with
legacy ports and it is a problem very difficult to correct
externally once the CW weight function is generated wrong.

73 Tom