[WT-support] K3 Internal Keyer support, Prosign characters

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Dec 11 02:55:33 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Laurent HAAS - F6FVY <f6fvy at free.fr> wrote:

> It is supposed to be supported. Just use the &xy syntax (like &AR). I
> just doubt it works well with the W5XD keyer, and to be honest I never
> (and will never) use them ;-)

Ah, there it is, in Release.txt, way before my time:

2.17.0 (June 9, 2005)

- CW Prosigns : Prosigns are now allowed in CW messages. They
  are entered as a "&" character, followed by the 2 characters
  forming the prosign. For example : &BK or &VA, etc... All such
  prosigns are supported by the internal and the WinKey keyers.

This never made it into the Wiki.  I will try to correct that; it seems to
work fine!

Believe me, when you are running SO2R, sometimes it is really nice to be
able send "AS" on the main Radio while you're trying to work someone else on
the Secondary Radio.

> See also Bug Report #172
>
> > <http://flyspray.win-test.com/index.php?do=details&id=172> regarding the
> > failure of remapped keys to work as expected when in [Alt-K] keyboard
> > mode, which may or may not complicate things.
>
> IIRC, it is a feature to allow typists to be able to send punctuation
> (which are usually remapped to useful keys) and such things to waste time.

You mean "to save time" I think.

Of course I don't want to send the period [.] or comma [,] or back-slash [\]
CW characters when in Keyboard mode [Alt-K].  I just want these keys to send
whatever I have remapped them to send.  If the function keys work, why can't
the remapped function keys?

I'm used to pressing [,] to send "?" (remapped [F7]).  It's frustrating when
it doesn't work the same in Keyboard mode, and I have to remember to press
[Shift-/] (on a U.S. Keyboard) or [F7] to send "?".  It's also nice to press
[\] as a shortcut to send my callsign (remapped [F4]), but again this
doesn't work in Keyboard mode.  That's why I opened bug report #172.

Speaking of keyboard mode, in V4 please consider adding a little window so
you can see what you're actually typing, and see what has been sent already,
as most keyboard CW programs do today.  Typing "blind" makes it too easy for
typos to get transmitted over the air. :-)  It's especially frustrating at a
multi when you're trying to type "PSE QSY 7043 7043?" since Win-Test doesn't
have any automated way of doing that (yet).  Maybe it would be be nice to
add messages to the "pass a multiplier" window, but in the mean time, we're
all using the keyboard or paddles to do it, so please reconsider this
request.