[WT-support] Keyboard usage

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Mon Aug 11 14:22:53 CEST 2008

I've recently started using Win-test with the Micro-Ham box, and got it
working well with minimum trouble.  Excellent!

The WAE CW weekend went very well, and Win-test worked perfectly.  Now I
have to practise copying QTCs at 36 wpm -- why do some stations speed up
when sending QTCs? -- isn't it better to slow down -- about 26 wpm seems
optimum to avoid repeats.  I guess that most EU stations are not recording
the exchanges with their sound cards, or am I wrong?  Anyway, it must be
good for the brain!

I have a couple of points about keyboard usage, which apply to all
contests as far as I know.

(1)  I am accustomed to being in "insert" mode with Windows, all the time,
and never use "overwrite".  When editing the callsign field, this works
fine, but when editing the "Rcvd" fields , the Win-test mode is "overwrite".
Perhaps "insert" could be an option, or am I unusual?  The same applies to
"extra" fields, such as IOTA reference.  This may be something left over
from the time when everyone used CT (?)

(2)  The RST and Nr fields are treated as one field -- "Rcvd".  This means
that if you accidentally backspace into the RST section, you can get very
confused.  Why not treat the RST and Number fields as separate, and use Tab
to go around the "Sent RST", "Rcvd RST" and "Rcvd Nr" fields.  Space would
go round the "Callsign", "Rcvd Nr" fields (and any additional such as IOTA).
After all, 99.99% of contesters never use any RS(T) apart from 59(9).

73,

Ed, GW3SQX