[WT-support] newbie questions

Larry Schimelpfenig larryk7sv at comcast.net
Sun Sep 2 15:39:12 CEST 2007

>With win-test can you have a simple paddle interface on the parallel
port (suspected answer no), or do you connect your paddle to an outboard
interfaced box like a microham usb micro keyer?

>If you use a Top Ten DX Doubler, can you plug your paddles into it and
have win-test respond to those and send CW?

>What are the most popular of these boxes in the win-test community.

John,

Win-Test does not have a built in keyer. They recommend use of Win-key,
Micro-keyer, or the W5XD multi-keyer. Or you can use any external keyer and
merge the output of it with the output of the function key CW in WT by
various means depending on what you're using for the SO2R box.

Between DX Doubler and Win-test, neither has a built in keyer, so plugging
paddles into Win-test would not be productive.

I can't say what the most popular SO2R box is. I think they're all good, but
the functionality varies. I'm using the DX-Doubler and it's just fine for my
purposes. You can build a pretty decent SO2R box based on simple relay
switching and I did just that initially for CW. I found a used DXD at a
price I couldn't refuse and bought it mostly to incorporate audio switching
for my limited phone operation.

73 de Larry K7SV