[WT-support] Zone changing....not necessary!

José Nunes CT1BOH ct1boh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:34:35 CET 2007

I've been telling all along that the default country file should be the one
that assigns W1 to zone 5, W8 to zone 4, W6 to zone 3, etc.
Non-Expert user do not know how to select the correct country files and the
automatic exchange guessing.

Larry - F6FVY, let's save the users a lot of stress and make these two
selectable options, a Default option!

The irony of all of this is that in the CQWW Contest nobody checks the
zones.
Only the calls are checked. So save yourselves the burden of changing the
zones...

73
José Nunes
CT1BOH

On 10/31/07, Tom Wylie <t.wylie at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Well we did 5,500 QSO admittedly not all with Ws, but how
> can any datbase be up to date?   You might as well just
> scrap the zonal exchange then?
>
> You only need the extra keystroke if the zone shown is not
> correct.    The vast majority are so for me its not a major
> issue.
>
> Tom
> GM4FDM
>

> John Crovelli wrote:
> > Tom,
> >
> > Its only a few more keystrokes BUT when you face the issue nearly 3000
> > times (my W qsos) during the contest as I did this past weekend, and add
> > into the mix some amount of sleep deprevation, it becomes a HUGE ISSUE
> > in terms of logging accuracy.  So those 6000 or so extra keystrokes for
> > me were not trivial.
> >
> > I second Nigel's suggestion....make the CTY_WT_MOD.DAT the default even
> > if its not perfect.
> >
> > John P40W aka W2GD
> >

> >  > Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:46:04 +0000
> >  > From: t.wylie at ntlworld.com
> >  > To: support at win-test.com
> >  > Subject: Re: [WT-support] Zone changing....not necessary!
> >  >
> >  > Personally I never believe the CTY files and check each zone
> >  > as it comes in. The problem arrives mainly in the USA
> >  > where they have made a bollox of their callsigns so that a
> >  > W6 may well be in New York etc.
> >  >
> >  > I make changes manually to the Zone if necessary as I go
> >  > along checking the zone each time. I never rely on the CTY
> >  > files, guys move around all the time...
> >  >
> >  > Its only a couple of key strokes more.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Tom
> >  > GM4FDM
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Nigel G3TXF wrote:
> >  > > Hello Win-Test users,
> >  > >
> >  > > Yes, I was also 'correcting' the incoming zone for virtually every
> > W this
> >  > > weekend. But it was entirely my fault!
> >  > >
> >  > > I had not realised that there was a choice of Country Files, until
> > Boris
> >  > > T93Y kindly mentioned it on here during the Contest. [But even
> > after reading
> >  > > Boris' message I did not dare change the Country File myself during
> the
> >  > > contest for fear of messing up my log!]
> >  > >
> >  > > Wouldn't the answer be to make the CTY_WT_MOD.DAT the default
> > Country File?
> >  > >
> >  > > We could then forget about the other two. Uploading the latest
> > version of
> >  > > this file from within Win-Test is just so easy.
> >  > >
> [...]

José Nunes
CONTEST CT1BOH - http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh