[WT-support] More info. about random crash at initial load / restart

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Nov 29 20:15:46 CET 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 10:09 AM, Olivier F5MZN <olecam at f5mzn.org> wrote:

> Mario Lorenz wrotte:
> > Btw, even with 3.18 we see random crashes on every other machine after
> > issuing the clearlognow command...
> >
> > I wonder if someone else could confirm/deny this; so I know whether its
> > a local or non-local problem...
>
> I confirm this bug although I still didn't get a way to localize what is
> the offending part of code which causes that issue.

Whenever this happens I see the following in the Windows Event Viewer,
Application Log:

(From a Windows command prompt run eventvwr.msc or Start, All Programs,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer)

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1000
Date:           11/5/2007
Time:           10:08:51 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       BOBX40
Faulting application wt.exe, version 3.0.0.0, faulting module
ntdll .dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

Can others confirm they find the same event in their Windows Application
Logs?

A Google search on ntdll.dll 0x00018fea returns a ton of hits on other
applications that randomly fail with this same symptom.

The address appears to correspond to entry point RtlpWaitForCriticalSection in
NTDLL.DLL.

Searching for that Entry Point name also returns a bunch of hits.  This one
looks interesting:

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/printthread.php?t=300784

Were you able to open the minidump (coredump) sent Nov. 22nd with Visual
Studio .net to get a call trace?

Maybe this will help localize the issue to some possible causes.  Memory
leak or memory corruption seems to be one possible cause.