[WT-support] R: Packet stream issue

Claudio Veroli claudio.veroli at alice.it
Thu Nov 15 23:24:00 CET 2007

Hi Larry
        Thanks a lot for all the support trying to fix this case.
Here are my details and the results of some tests I have done during the
last weekend.

- Callsign (for reference)  IR4X
- Computers summary (CPU / RAM)
PC are all Pentium III or IV with at least 256 Mb RAM OS

2 PCs on Run1 (one on the running station + one on the support station) P4
256Mb
2 PCs on Run2 (idem)
1 PCs on Mult1
1 PC  on Mult2
1 PC  used as Monitor or silent backup
1 PC  is dedicated to PCL with TNC2 and time sync (P III 256Mb )

Network HUB is only 10 Mb.
No RFI on the network.

- Operating system Windows2000 SP4 (1 Laptop VISTA)
- Any anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-whatever installed ? NOD32
- Nbr of networked computers 8
- Version of WT 3.16
- QSO count (approx)9250
- Did you notice any slowdown [X] Yes [] No
- If so, when did it happened (approx in QSO and time) 5500
- DX-cluster type : [x] CLX [] DXnet [] ARC [] Other (specify) []
- DX-cluster callsign and IP/port, if any (for reference)  iq4ax-6 via radio
TNC2
- Was the packet monitor wnd open (Alt-O) [] Yes [X] No Only active in the
PC dedicated to PCL
 - What is the spot lifetime value (Radio wnd properties) in min ? Default

We noticed a progressive slowing down at the running Stn PCs from 5500 QSOs
The only solution we found during the contest was to avoid the inbound spot
traffic on PCs at the running positions.
This solved the problem.

Post contest tests:
I found that NOD32 has several real time activities like AMON, EMON, ecc.
And you need to terminate its one by one .
Probably during the CQWW we only terminate the main antivirus but not all
these real time scanning activi
So I unistalled NOD32 from all PIII PCs and I only terminate all the active
NOD32 modules in PIV PCs.

I restart WT (vers 3.16) with my complete log (over 9000 QSOs) on 5 PCs
Advanced setup network was default (all enable)
I started a log sync on a new PC on the NET with a clean log and send a
simultaneous SH/DX 100 from 5 PCs.
At the same time I log some qsos on a running STN’s PC and response was very
good, no delay at all.
So at first sight it seems that avoid any silent or background activities
from any antivirus has fixed the problem.

I will try your suggested test next weekend.
Thank you so much.

73 de Claudio I4VEQ