[WT-support] Followup on "Big Insert" key

Doug Grant k1dg at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 11 17:11:34 CET 2007

Just wanted to follow up on this mystery after a trip to the contest station yesterday. The problem is that the big Insert key (in the numpad) does not send the "insert" message, while the little insert key is OK.

1. Verified that NUMLOCK is off. Tried toggling it a few times...with NUMLOCK on, the key makes a 0 (zero) as expected.

2. Went back to CTWin...both Insert keys work OK...both big one and little one. Same keyboard, same PC, same version of Windows (XP).

3. Tried the "Redefine Keys" trick. WT acknowledged that I was redefining Insert to Insert. No change...little Insert OK, big Insert dead. Redefined ";" to Insert, and it worked, but I want a big, easy-to-find key for the Insert function. Sorry, N6TV. Tried redefining big Insert with NUMLOCK on, but then when I typed a callsign with a (zero) in it, no zero went into the callsign field, and the exchange was sent. No good.

4. Tried another contest file (all of the above were with the ARRL SS loaded). No change.

I'll try another keyboard next weekend, but I am not hopeful.

If that works, I will use it with WT in the WWCW. If not, I will have to decide whether to live with the little Insert key or go back to CTWin.

There is a vintage 2005 thread in the mailing list archives about this problem, so I am not the first person to see this, but I cannot find the resolution.

73,

Doug K1DG