[WT-support] Wintest 3-17-0 at GM2T

Bob Glasgow bob.gm4uyz at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 7 13:46:20 CET 2007

We have been using Wintest for all our contests and special events for well
over a year now and we all love it. Makes life easier as everyone gets to
know the software.
In the CQWW SSB Contest this year we had 5840 QSO’s in the GM2T log and this
is what I noticed:
Our set-up was 4 Stations and a separate laptop as our master and DX-Cluster
feed. All networked together…4 x stations connected by RG58 Thin Ethernet
and onto a small 10MB Hub with the laptop connected to this hub.

NETWORK:
• Various Stations were timing out at different times when viewed from the
STATUS window. Didn’t stop the PC’s being updated with the QSO’s.
• Had to change out our Master Laptop on the Sunday and amazing to see the
log build from scratch. Must admit took about 10 minutes in total to fully
synchronise up.
• Had to reboot one station again well into the contest… recovered 100%
• Great facility as we used NA for years and it created a major headache to
get the stations all synchronised again. Made easier as I wrote a DOS batch
file that made the job 100% easier. Still fiddly to do.

PRE-FILLING the LOG
Before the contest started it is something that we had a good chat about. We
drummed it in to all the operators to DOUBLE check what was given by the
contact being worked against what was being pre-filled and if it was
different then change it. I still suspect we have a few mis-logged
particularly the USA contacts.

My suggestion and no doubt I will get shot down in flames for this is as
follows:
For all areas that cannot be defined properly then do not pre-fill the zone.
What I mean is we know that GM, F, DL, OZ etc are definitely Zone 14 so
pre-fill but areas like the USA and Russia as they cover numerous Zones then
leave blank. It then forces the operator to enter the true zone given by the
station being worked. It does stop mistakes happening. As I say this is my
suggestion.

Regards,

Bob Glasgow GM4UYZ

Sec: Cockenzie & Port Seton Amateur Radio Club
Email: bob.gm4uyz at btinternet.com
Website: www.cpsarc.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:04