[WT-support] VK9DNX / Win-Test in DXpedition Mode

Christian Janssen cjanssen at bndlg.de
Wed Mar 14 20:24:16 CET 2007

Hello WT'ers,

during the VK9DNX DXpedition we made 61.590 QSOs in CW, SSB and
RTTY. All logged with WinTest Ver. 3.7.0 in DXpedition mode. Following
bugs and hints:

1. wtDXTelnet 2.1 has a problem with memory allocation. After some days
running non-stop it allocated several hundred megabytes and still got
more (after 72 hours about 420 Mb). After one notebook had a HDD crash
(probably caused by wtDXTelnet) we restarted wtDXTelnet every two or
three days. The notebook with the crash run again without any problems
after wtDXTelnet wasn't started there anymore.

2. Log synchronisation: Worked, but changes are only synchronized on
computers which are in the netwerk when the change happens.

3. When a station with /M, /P or /QRP was logged searching again for
that station the extension isn't shown in the check partial.

4. "Self-spotting-feature": After the DXpedition we found the Win-Test
reset after a "self-spot" as a kind of paternalism. It is really
annoying when all computers had to be restarted after spotting
ourselves. I don't know what the background for this feature is or was
but everybody should decide on his own whether to spot himself or not.

5. Scenario: You typed in a callsign, answer him with "Insert", he comes
back with the correct callsign, you edit it and send TU with the +-key,
but the station hasn't already finished. You press ESC. Then again you
press the +-key, but the corrected call isn't sent any more.

6. It happened that after 30k QSOs CW keying with LPT became nearly
impossible. Maybe a problem with the port driver under Windows XP. One
member never had that problem at home with Windows 98.
Keying with COM or via the microham USB interface was never a problem.

7. In DXpedition-mode (MIXEXD MODE) MMTTY always starts at the beginning
when "Run MMTTY" is checked, if you want to do RTTY or not. Is there any
solution to start/end MMTTY when you really need it? Also the
configuration of the ports is a bit of work when changing from CW to
RTTY and backwards.

8. Rate Window: Adding the QSOs for the last 24 hours.

9. The rate sheet only shows max. 4 days. All after that is blowing in
the wind. Better would be (if not more than 4 days possible) the last 4
days or scrolling through the days.

10. Show the dupes also in DXpedition-Mode. Maybe switchable (with
Dupes/without Dupes).

11. Scenario: Working in CW (without a paddle). You get a suffix out of
the pile-up. You have a look at the Check-Partial and see the callsign.
You add the rest of the callsign. You want to start to send, but the
station sends again its callsign. So you loose time. Better: Grabbing
the callsign with a mouse-click (like in RTTY).

12. A small info field according the band with information about band
edges and NCDXF beacon frequencies.

13. Is there a way to go to the menu bar with the keyboard?

14. When sending in RTTY and hitting the ESC-key RTTY doesn't stop. At
the end of the characters the TRX still remains on TX. You can only
switch to RX by hitting the TXOFF-button in the MMTTY-window.

15. With 8 operators there is a wish for user profiles for each
operator. These profiles contain things like
- language of WT
- positions of the windows
- sepearate texts for CW, RTTY, low bands, high bands
The profiles should be available on each computer in the WT network.

Besides that everybody was amazed who easy to use Win-Test. We had a
great time there. Hope to get some topics fixed to be prepared for the
next one.

Vy 73s de Chris DL1MGB

Vy 73s de Chris DL1MGB