[WT-support] IARU VHF/UHF/SHF Scoring

Chris Libowitzky, oe3li c.libowitzky at kabsi.at
Sun Jun 24 13:51:09 CEST 2007

Win-Test Mailing List; CC.F5MZN;OE3FKS, OE-VHF-Contest-Mgr., OE1WWA, my local Contest-Club 1st op

Dear friends,
Although considering Win-Test a "Rocker", I have to "rock the boat" a little,
since nobody yet seemed to have remarked the OUTDATED VHF+ Scoring (Distance) System of the program.

In the update Version of IARU-Reg.1 VHF/UHF/SHF Contest Rules you will find the following

see chapter 4.6.8 or
>>4.9.8 Scoring
Points will be scored on the basis of one point per kilometre, i.e. the calculated distance in kms will be
truncated to an integer value and 1 km will be added. The centre of each locator square is used for
distance calculations. In case only a 4-character locator has been received, the contact is invalid.
In order to make contest scores comparable, for the conversion from degrees to kilometres a factor of
111.2 should be used when calculating distances with the aid of the spherical geometry equation
(Noordwijkerhout, 1987).

(from IARU Region 1
VHF managers handbook page 100/172 Version 5.21)<<

Contrary in your Test-Version wt-3.11.0, I still found the outdated "business rounding" system, which may give different (poorer) results.
To my knowledge the newer IARU-Reg.1 system applies to all European VHF+  contest-scorings, based on distance.

To my opinion, no contest-program with a global approach would be complete, without the above.
mci bcp en avant
avec mes super 73 de Chris, oe3li at kabsi.at

.