[WT-support] Check Partial/N+1/Exchange Guessing questions

Douglas Maxwell douglas.maxwell at virgin.net
Wed Jun 20 11:51:50 CEST 2007

Hi All,
    WinTest has been great over all the contests we've taken part in this year. The RSGB NFD contest using wintest was a complete success! Now I'm getting the hang of how to set it up properly for some of the bigger contests i.e. CQWW and IOTA, but I still have some questions. I'd like to use the IOTA contest to make this easier to discuss.

Are these statements correct?

1) If I use IOTA.SCP file, check partial and N+1 only comes from this file.

2) If I use multiple appropriately named IOTA_XX_XX.SCP files for all band/mode combinations, WinTest will select which file to use for CP and N+1 dependant on current band/mode selection.

3) If there is also an IOTA.DTB file, exchange guessing only comes from this file.

4) Only when a call exists in both SCP and DTB files will exchange guessing work for that call.

Some more questions:

Do you intend to get rid of the .DTB format in the future? If so where will exchange guessing come from? What will happen with the 'update database' command?

What are the advantages of using SCP files instead of a complete, augmented DTB file (i.e. using update database)? The latter seems the only solution where contests require exchange guessing.

Sorry for the bandwidth but I have tried to understand the excellent wiki and the help files and am trying to find the best way forward for our group.

Thanks for a great product!

Doug GM0ELP