[WT-support] IARU quirks with 3.11

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Tue Jul 17 15:14:10 CEST 2007

On 17/07/07, Steve London <n2icarrl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
>

> > You're asking WinTest for a "Smart Enter" key that does something
> > different depending on what "mode" you are in, like TRlog.  I'd prefer
> > to have the Enter key always do the same thing.  Human Engineering
> > textbooks say it is generally best to have one function per key, where
> > possible, for ease of use (and ease of learning).
>
> The suggestions in the Human Engineering textbooks are fine when you are
> designing a system that is intended to be used by a large number of people, and
> minimizing the training time is important. However, if your goal is to maximize
> performance for the expert user, having one function per key may not be optimal.
>  Hence, the (repeated) request for Enter-sends-message capability in Win-Test.

... and the acknowledgement from the developers that it's being
considered for the next major release.

There are always going to be 2 camps here - those who love and those
who hate ESM. When WT provides it, we can all try it out, decide if we
want to keep it selected or not, stop arguing about it and get back to
enjoying contesting.....

Peter G4MJS

--
Peter Bowyer