[WT-support] Stuttering CW

Olivier Le Cam olecam at f5mzn.org
Mon Jan 15 17:00:57 CET 2007

Doug Grant a écrit :
> Hello, Larry -
>
>> Even if I doubt of it, can you see a "CPU peak" of a specific process
>> within the task manager when the problem occurs ?
>
> No. Only the svchost seems to take any CPU %.
>
>> And, in your configuration, is the display adapter on-board (I mean
>> buried
>> in the mobo), or is it a graphics card ?
>
> It is a graphics card..."3D Force G-16/G-32/XP with Trident Blade
> T-16/T-64 (9970) Graphics Processor" with 16MB of memory. The card is
> pretty old and is now discontinued. The drivers I have appear to be the
> most recent.
>
> Do you think updating to a  new video card will fix things?

I don't think so.

As suggested by Larry, can you try to shutdown the Printer Spool Service
(spoolsv.exe) in the task manager just to see if there is any difference?

You can also try to disable the LPT port in Win-Test and configure
Win-Test to ouput CW on a COM port (even with no interface connected to)
in order to know if the problem is related to the LPT port or not.

The CW thread of Win-Test is started with "real-time" priviledge, as
soon as the user who is launching Win-Test has administrator priviledge.

Svchost.exe is a Microsoft process used by the Operating System.
Multiple instances can run at the same time but it should not catch too
much CPU except during the boot sequence. If svchost.exe is using a
large portion of your CPU cycles or high amount of memory, it has most
likely been "hijacked" by a worm or a Trojan.

Anyway, a 2.4 GHz P4 CPU is much more than required to operate a perfect
CW. A stuttering CW means that another process or driver is wasting the
CPU time but TBH it is close to Mission Impossible to find which one is
responsible for that?

HTH

Olivier / f5mzn