[WT-support] Stuttering CW

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Jan 15 01:10:44 CET 2007

Hi Doug

Doug Grant a écrit :

> I am a new user of Win-Test, and am having problems with "stuttering"
> CW. I don't have this problem with CTWin.
>
> I am using LPT1 interface. WinXP running on a 2.4 GHz P4 machine.

(snip)

With such a CPU, the machine speed should not be related to the trouble
you have. WT is currently used with much lower performances CPU (I just
read K8BB post few hours ago who is using a Pentium 200 MHz...)

> I looked at the task manager, and there are a lot of things running. I
> tried changing the priority of wt.exe to real-time and it did not help.

AFAIK, the CW generation is run as the most higher priority available to
an user program. Higher priorities can be used by some services,
especially when disk access is involved (meaning that anti-viruses and
other funny things can compromise the CW generation).

The printer spool service (spoolsv.exe) is also known to sometimes send
unwanted activity on the LPT port, and should be disabled.

> The only process that seems to run frequently is svchost.exe, and there
> are several instances of it showing in the task manager.

According to the M$ docs, this process is used by the system. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314056&x=4&y=10 for more
information. BTW, several instances of svchost.exe can run.

> I can only guess that something in the display handling is conflicting
> with CPU priorities.

Even if I doubt of it, can you see a "CPU peak" of a specific process
within the task manager when the problem occurs ?

And, in your configuration, is the display adapter on-board (I mean
buried in the mobo), or is it a graphics card ?