[WT-support] wttunnelsrv question

John Warburton G4IRN qrz at dxdx.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 15:01:20 CET 2007

Ok, problem sorted. A basic networking error on my part (it was getting late, that's my excuse!) but here, for completeness, is the solution :

Of course, the Broadcast address and Port ID must be the same across ALL machines on the network in order for them to see and talk to each other. Since the Hamachi VPN software assigns an address in the 5.x.x.x range to each client, then I set the broadcast address on each machine to 5.255.255.255 and the Port ID to 8971 and all seems to work fine!

John G4IRN
======
I am starting to test the tunnel software in advance of the IARU contest next year. Help is required please!

Problem: When I run Win-Test on the 'server', I cannot see the 'client' laptop (for example I cannot gab to it or see it on the Alt-J Status window).

Scenario:

I am running a couple of laptops, both connected to the internet through different methods (one via wireless router to broadband, one via 3G).

Laptop A - runs Hamachi VPN, wtTunnel and Win-Test. (Windows 2000).
Ethernet is ticked in the WT config screen. I use the default IP address and Port numbers - these are copied into the wtTunnel config fields.
The wtTunnel software is also configured to connect to the Hamachi IP address on the 'server' laptop. I tried port 10368 and also port 8040 with similar results.

Laptop B - runs Hamachi VPN, wtTunnelsrv and Win-Test. (Windows XP).
wtTunnelsrv was started with a port ID to match the tunnel software (and userID , password same as client).

The Hamachi VPN software seems to connect fine. I created a virtual network and can Ping and chat between the two laptops with no problems.

The wtTunnelsrv log shows the 'client' laptop logging in and out plus other messages; although I cannot determine what they all mean they look OK.

Problem: When I run Win-Test on the 'server' laptop (with Ethernet ticked in the config), I cannot see the 'client' laptop (for example I cannot gab to it or see it on the Alt-J Status window).

I have the same contest type set up on both laptops.

Is this working as designed or do I have a problem? I see from a previous post that it is not necessary to run WT on the 'server' PC, so I am not sure!