[WT-support] "Failed to open COM1!"

Rolf Salme sm5mx at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 21:14:51 CET 2007

--- "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv at arrl.net> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 2:08 PM, Rolf Salme
> <sm5mx at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Employing the Process Explorer, I don´t get a hit
> with "serial"
>

> That's interesting.
>
> If you run devmgmt.msc to bring up the Windows
> Device Manager, click on
> "Ports", do you see COM1: listed there, with no "red
> X"?  If you right click
> on Communcations Port (COM1), Properties, Resources
> tab, I/O range
> 03F8-03FF, IRQ 4, No conflicts?
>
> Any other COM Ports listed?  Is there an Infrared
> Port?
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV

Dear Bob,

At times, I find it quite awkward that my operating
system is in Swedish, rather than in the original
language, since it makes it hard to express oneself
and  to follow good advice. Anyway, this is what I can
see:

I do not have devmgmt.msc on my computer.

My ports are COM1 and LPT1, none is red, both said to
be working, no conflicts

About COM1:
I/O interval 03F8-03FF
IRQ request 04
No conflicts ("sole user")

As you suggested, something is most probably hogging
my COM1 when starting Windows, because if I restart
the computer in pure DOS, I can use my COM1 for keying
TR-Log et cetera.

Unfortunately, I have not been able yet to pinpoint
the culprit. It would be most welcome if I could,
since I  have other programs for which I would also
like to use COM1 while under Windows.

73 & TIA,
Rolf
SM5MX