[WT-support] Re: [microHAM] new router software

Rudolf Schwenger Rudolf.Schwenger at t-online.de
Mon Oct 30 23:06:28 CET 2006

Hi Paul,

my setup is a lot simpler: IC-781 driving an ALPHA 87A plus an old microKEYER and a 1 GHz NB running XP prof. The contest logging programme is WIN-Test.

I did the same thing you did, i.e. 2 days before the contest I downloaded the latest version of WIN-Test and the latest version of the router.

>From previous experience almost each and every cable in my shack  is run through big ferrite toroids, so I feel the station is pretty much RFI-proof.

Everything went fine for the first 30 hours until Sunday morning - leave alone the fact that there are sometimes strange delays between pressing the F1 key for an automatic cq-message to be transmitted and the moment when the message was actually transmitted - ranging between maybe .1 sec to slightly more than a second).

Then, on Sunday morning at around QSO number 800 the band map did not follow the radio any more, which, of course, is a major disadvantage for competitive contesting. The problem had nothing to do with the communication between the radio and the computer, since the router windows continued to show the exact frequencies of the radio with almost no delay. But for some reason or other WIN-TEST was unable to transfer the information into the band map and the QSO-records (all the subsequent QSO-records show the frequency of the relevant lower edge of the band and any change of the bands had to be effected manually using the WIN-Test tools bar.) Very messy and I am sure that there are now some qrg-mistakes in my log.

When the problem started I received the following message: "NETWORK RECEIVED BAD CHECKSUM". Actually, I am not aware of using a network apart from getting my DX-cluster-info from Telnet via internet and a WLAN which provides the DSL link for internet and telephones in my house. Of course, I rebooted, switched everything off, checked the menues, but could not find any mistake.

The other problem, which popped up shortly after the "bad checksum"-problem, was exactly the same problem you described, i.e. I got a message indicating that something terrible had happend and asking whether I wanted to send a message concerning the problem to MICROSOFT. No matter whether I chose YES or NO WIN-Test was closed down shortly thereafter and the machine defaulted to the desktop picture necessitating a new start of WIN-TEST. The TELNET software and the ROUTER apparently were not effected by the shut down of WIN-TEST. This problem happend about 8 to 10 times from Sunday morning to the end of the contest and most likely had nothing to do with any action on my part, i.e. when I was just listening and slowly tuning a band, this message suddenly popped up. Heaven knows why.

The "bad checksum"-problem continues to exist, i.e. still no transfer of frequency-info is possible to WIN-TEST, while I assume that the sudden shut down also still exists in conjunction with WIN-TEST, however I don't know for sure, since this problem only pops up every other hour or so.

I just hope that anybody of the group respectively Laurant or Jozef have a clue.....

Pse keep me posted,

vy 73 de Rudolf, DJ3WE