[WT-support] SCP files

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Oct 9 11:57:00 CEST 2006

Hi Tonno

Tõnno Vähk a écrit :

> I don't quite agree that in the ideal world you should have different SCP for all contests. The contesters really overlap too much for that and it is rather important to have a larger file put together from different contests. In my opinion it is always better to have more calls than less in the SCP file.

> I have been building my own SCP from contests I have entered in about 5 years and I usually add K5ZD database to that. I find it is much more useful and comprehensive than just K5ZD. That's why I would like to use it for every contest.

I think we can discuss on this topic forever ;-)

I strongly disagree with your statement "In my opinion it is always
better to have more calls than less in the SCP file.".

I much prefer to have less callsigns in my checkPartial and N+1 windows,
rather than having them polluted by useless callsigns !

For example, we all know stations who are taking part only in the CQWW
DX contest, and never in the ARRL DX contest. Or in the CQWW and WPX
contest only, etc... It is even much more true with RTTY contests which
is a pretty "specific" activity. I don't want to see the RTTYers (who
only work RTTY contests) in my checkPartail and N+1 wnd during a CQWW SSB...

And at last, IMHO, using a 5 year old compiled file with your *own*
contests is only usable if the callsigns included in this file appeared
several times in your logs. Once again, I don't want to see in the
checkPartial and N+1 wnds the special allocated callsign of a DXped who
took part in the CQWW CW 2002 once and never showed up since that days !

Anyway, it is all a question of taste, experience, and results !

> So why not then make one specific SCP file with one specific name that would always be used as first priority before any other file for SCP?? I read the release notes of 3.4.5 and I thought that master.scp is exactly meant for that (default check partial files for the HF contests.) But I tried and it does not work this way. CQWW.DTB is still taken before master.scp. I would be happy if you give one name, e.g. xxx.scp (can't think of any good name:) that is always FIRST PRIORITY SCP file for any contest if present.

To make you happy, I will consider that for the next version (not sure
it will be on time for the CQWW SSB...). We may use the DEFAULT.SCP name
? I understand it may confuse some users but it is the only way to
satisfy everyone ;-)