[WT-support] Log corruption : Update...

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Sun Nov 5 13:11:54 CET 2006

Hello

You may have read on this list, few days ago, some reports of log (wtb
file) corruption.

After some investigations, we already found one *perfect* way to
definitely corrupt files ;-)

If you are a version 3 user (like most of you), and if you kept an older
version 2 (or several of them) in your machine, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO
READ CAREFULLY :

<< DO NOT OPEN ANY ORIGINAL WTB V3 FILE WITH *ANY* WT VERSION 2 ! >>

The version 3 wtb file format is *NOT* backwards compatible with WT
version 2, and it will DEFINITELY corrupt your wtb file.

There is normally NO REASON to do that, but it *may* be done by accident
or for testing etc... If you do, you're on your own !!! In all cases,
NEVER do this on an original log file with no backup !!!

And now, some pieces of advice, especially for single-ops with no
networked Win-Test (which is safest by nature) :

- Learn how to use the automatic backup feature. It is very easy to set
up (Tools / Automatic backups), and has very interesting possiblities :

1/ Backups are processed in a separate thread, meaning that you will not
even notice that a backup is in progress ! No slowdown, no keyboard
blocking etc...

2/ You can use one different timestamped file per backup to enhance
security.

3/ Of course, you can backup to a different volume than your "working"
volume : This avoids to loose everything if you experience a hard disk
failure. Do not smile... It sometimes happens ! [ARRL SSB 2002 FY5KE,
IIRC !]

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Automatic_backup...

- Once you entered your last QSO, for safety, generate your log(s)
before exiting. A simple "MAKELOG" command opens the appropriate dialog.

- In all cases, always make a copy of a file when you want to use it /
test it / modify it. NEVER USE THE ORIGINAL ! If you have an FTP access
somewhere, copy it there as soon as possible ! If you computer explodes,
you still will have a safe copy...

Call me paranoid, but believe me, you need to loose someday a *very* big
size of data to understand the importance of backups !