[WT-support] "after-contest" impressions from a newcomer

f6irf at free.fr f6irf at free.fr
Mon Jul 31 14:02:34 CEST 2006

Just to spot what I consider a few weaknesses of Win-test, which I used in real
contest situation for the first time this weekend during the IOTA (no SO2R,
just basic 1 transceiver operation with cluster assistance).
I guess that several points have already been mentionned on this list, a few may
have received answers but I am not a regular reader, so please forgive me...
Those lines are just a "win-test newcomer after-contest impressions" (of course
a few points are subjective, and may be influenced by the fact that I am a
N1MM-logger convinced user).

My config:
Ver 3.1.0
Windows XP-home  - AMD Duron 1.8Ghz - 512MB ram
IC756 pro2
Microham microkeyer (with winkey v10)

Problems/bugs
=================

- ON/OFF time cannot be trusted: the contest rule specifies that, for 12H
category, 60mn is the minimum "off time", therefore 15mn without a QSO should
not be counted as off-time period. The same probably applies to contests like
WPX, WAE, REF, etc... and all contests allowing rest-periods for single-op
categories (at the moment "OFF time count"  has to be done externaly).

- Hamcap (ctrlP) use to work on my machine before installation of ver 3 - does
not anymore. Pressing CTRL-P crashes wintest(*)  (though the call info is
properly transferred to hamcap, if open). Tried to remove transfer of indexes,
etc, without success.
(*) a window pops-up to saying: sorry, but wintest has to close!

- With my Pro2, experience abt 2s latency with CAT, when clicking on a spot, or
when changing band , even with baudrate set at 19200. Note: The bandmap follows
the VFO changes accurately and without latency, but the opposite is not true (I
use the microkeyer as CAT interface).

- Experienced many speed problems with winkey v.10 when speed changes (++/--)
are used within messages... (ie sometimes the serial is sent very QRS, and
sometime at the same speed as 5NN...)  Also some latency sometimes when a F-key
is pressed. Sometimes repeating the call or the serial is impossible (pressing
F3 or F4 does nothing...).
It seems to work far better using RTS-CW and DTR-PTT on the CAT com port of the
microham, but just tried quickly after the contest...

Impressions/Suggestions/needs for improvement

- databases: assuming that good reasons for not using standard databases exist
(?), tools should be provided to allow users to customize their databases (ie
master.dta and "contest specific" historical data). A way to download updated
databases from the software should be provided.

- Having to press ctrl-enter to enter a call in bandmap is a waste of time - a
QSY should automaticaly enter the call in bandmap and wipe the entry field.
Furthermore  calls cannot be transferred by mouse click from the "check
partial" window to entry window, which slows down the S&P process.

- Find 7 F-key unsufficient - Definitely it will be a problem in TTY (IMHO alt-c
is unpractical and furthermore does not work in TTY)  don' t see any point -
except CT-nostalgy- to have f8 to f10 and f12 blocked by toggling of windows.
Just a detail, but it is also nice to have specific messages for
"run" and "S&P" contextes (will be needed anyway if ESM is ever implemented...)

- Go quickly work a spot and come back to CQ freq is not as easy as it should
be... (Or did I miss something?)

- (once again) seriously miss ESM .  Auto-sending could be fine but is not
really usable if you mix run and S&P (at least a quick way to disable
auto-sending is needed). Maybe auto sending should disable automaticaly after a
QSY...

- RTTY:  Quickly tested after the contest. IMHO, win-test does not seem to be
really usable at this point, but I'll make a specific RTTY-list later...

Patrick

F6IRF/CN2WW
http://f6irf.blogspot.com