[WT-support] Just wondering: improved support of the K2

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Fri Jan 13 19:43:53 CET 2006

Toby Deinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there are any plans to support more fully the
> entire range of commands of the K2?
>
> For example the K2 internal keyer can accept ASCII strings so that an
> external keyer ("small black box" and/or keying by computer) is no
> longer needed.

Hi Toby,

I saw quickly the specs of the protocol, especially on the integrated
keyer of the K2. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it cannot be used with
win-test because the software always needs to stay synchronised with the
keyer. For example, with WinKey, the characters are sent one by one :
Win-Test sends one character, then waits for an ACK from WinKey to send
the next one. That way, Win-Test always know which part of the CW
message is currently transmitting. This is of course very time critical:
you only have few ms to process the ACK and send the next character!
This mechanism is apparently not available with the K2. Anyway, this is
quite impossible to code such features without having the equipment. And
I've no K-2 :(

Sorry for that.

Olivier / f5mzn