[WT-support] Cabrillo Importing

Werner Maier werner at maiers.de
Sat Dec 9 20:23:16 CET 2006

Hi Laurent,

>> but it would be great if I could import the Carbrillo that is written
>> e.g. from "BV" (www.df3cb.com) into DXpedtition mode.
>
> I don't know what "standard" BV is using,
> but I know some WT users who imported general logs by massaging the
> data (mostly by removing the comments) and using a "fake" contest
> headers to allow importation. Atferwards, they changed the log settings
> in the appropriate dialog. Of course, it can only work with adapted bands and modes.

well, most contests run on 10/15/20/40/80/160 - and so you are off with
the WARC bands - if you start logging with dxped. mode, and you have some
QSOs on WARC or 50MHz, you are lost as you can export the dxped log (adif only),
convert and combine the log with others by (insert-your-favorite-tool-here),
but you cannot reimport these data, as the warc or 50MHz will be "wrong band"
in most contests...

>> that would be nice, because then you could use WT as your "everyday"
>> Logging program (same look and feel)...
>
> TBH, I discourage WT for this use, especially with very large logs
> (> few 100k QSO). WT is more adapted for "real" DXPeds !
> Use a database based logger for general logging instead.

Well, TBH, I'm very glad that I've reached about 3000 QSOs from home
this year - with that rate I guess I can live quite long with a few
100k QSOs.

I know very well, that logging Programs like Swisslog (I've been using the
DOS version) or Swisslog-Win or DX4WIN or (put-your-favorite-here) are
more suitet for things like "qso rounds", rag chewing or reporting
(e.g. DXCC, and so on). This is correct, and I'm using Swisslog/Win here
for QSL sorting and so on - but I do not like the behaviour of Swisslog/Win
for everyday logging - my shack computer is an Pentium 133 MHz Laptop
with 128MB of RAM - quite enough for WT and some 10.000 QSOs but in no
way suited for Swisslog/Win.

I would have no problem if there would be a "cabrillo" export of
any kind of "DXpedition mode", and if there would be a cabrillo import
that would only understand exact that cabrillo output of WT -
I think I would be able to make the cabrillos fitting, as I can
do a lot of things with perl, sed, awk and co.
I don't mind the Cabrillo header - I'd just use the same that
WT would write.

Just having the qsos there and having the cluster/trx control there
in WT for everyday logging would be adequate for most cases.

btw: BV e.g. uses the format below, just contest, category and other
fields are empty, and the QSO-DATA seems quite normal as in
other Cabrillos too. I understand that one would lose things
like contest exchange or the "info" filed, but I don't mind.

Just having the raw qso data (date time call band mode rsts/rstr)
would be enough (for me in this case and for this purpose).
If I needed more than I'd switch to Swisslog/DX4Win/whatever.

But WT is doing a great job (trx control, cluster setup, logging),
I do not need more for that purposes.

best 73s de Werner DL4NER.