[WT-support] Bugs and needed features

F6BEE f6bee at free.fr
Sun Apr 30 18:09:50 CEST 2006

Hi

Thank you Tonno to open this subject.
What do you mean by WRTC ?    ;-)

A month ago in WPX and before, I tested a bit of WT + EZ Master + 1 MP +
1 Mk5 in SO2R, with 2 ICE-419 BPF + 6 Pack all driven by
the realy board.   I left the EZM in zone 35 and got a new one here in
F, but I have  problems with this one.
> Bugs (maybe not bugs but I have not managed to configure correctly) identified (first 5 are critical for WRTC):
>
> 1. The paddle is not working for me. It behaves identically when WK is enabled and disabled. It switches PTT on and sends carrier for about a second and then dots or dashes at very high speed. Does paddle work for anybody?? Have I done something wrong?

Same WK behaviour for the 1st EZM unit, the 2nd never worked.

> Features that I miss (first 5 are critical for WRTC):
>
> 1. ESM mode
>
> 2. Auto sending (i.e. activating the Insert Key without pressing it at e.g. 3rd or 4th character of the callsign entered)
>
> 3. Shortcut for the SWAP FREQUENCIES command - menu or typing SWAP+ENT is not really possible efficiently. Any shortcut is fine as it can be remapped.
>
> 4. Band map ALL BANDS. Right now only shows the band of VFO A. In WRTC it would be important to see all bands and be able to click on the station on some other band to QSY there. Can it be added to the right-click menu on the Band Map to be able to choose Current Band - All Bands??

Should be doable with "packet spots" (Alt-A) filled by 2nd op.     I
will try later this (long) week end !
> 5. $CR working in SSB. Could create Quick QSL Messages etc. Insert and Plus are not modifiable in SSB unfortunately also.
>
> 6. Option to fill the callsign field automatically when tuning on station in the bandmap.

Same as #4, I think.
> 7. Tail end feature. PTT stays on after sending TU and you can enter call and push Insert right away without dropping PTT. It could be just some command ($KEY) to activate ALT K or keyboard mode and Insert would stop it. The same command could be used in messages to send endings like frequencies etc.
>
> 8. Ability to pick calls from Partial window. In TR you can move with keys in the Possible Calls list and select one to fill the Callsign field. This is very handy especially with long portable calls that you have worked in the contest before. Would it be possible to at least double click on the Check Partials windows to pull a callsign on the Callsign field?

 10. Complete manual. At least an updated list of commands and shortcuts
would be really needed.

YES, please !    I think it's on it's way at WT offices in UK !

> Questions:
>
> 1. I can't get WINKEY working. When I enable it the CW sending is completely messed up - all the dashes are cut short etc.. can it be settings problem? Any changes in the Configure Interfaces, WK Configuration or EZM Configuration menus do not seem to help. Can anyone help?

I understand what you mean, unfortunately !
I recently met one famous user of WT/EZM who told me he always uses the
parallel port for CW, not WK.
> 2. I understand it is not possible to add Exchange info to HF.DTB. Only to specific contest files. How should I update those specific contest DTB's with latest MASTER.DTA? Do the developers update the HF.DTB? Is there a way to merge HF.DTB and contest DTB?? Or should I take K5ZD master.DTA, turn it into Cabrillo log and Import to WT and then Update my Database?
>
> IF possible I would like to know if those 5 critical bugs and features are in the list for the pre-WRTC version and when do you think this might come out. We have to decide if we can use WT or not.
Laurent, if you have some time for bug fixing and need some hardware to
test the mods, let me know.
WPX CW is a good opportunity for live testing.....

Question :  who is planning to use WT in WRTC ?

In any case we made some progress regarding the original WRTC rules : WT
can now be used and this is great !

73 de Jacques, F6BEE