[WT-support] networking wintest via internet

F6IFY f6ify at free.fr
Wed Jun 15 18:03:43 CEST 2005

Difficult to start the thread without Olivier and Larry replies. I will
try...

> How about using WinTest in the IARU-HF-worldchampionship as
> headquarter
> station or teamchallange in cqww?

HAHA DA0HQ is on the way!

> There are different locations far away. There are more than
> one PCs in
> every qth connected via ethernet, too. And there is a qth without
> telephone-line, but connected via packet-radio to another
> team-station....
>
> So I would like to get a communication between all PCs
> (qth's) with an
> automatic refresh / upgrade after a logon.
>
> I don't know enough about protocols, but I think THE big problem are
> changing IP after login to internet.
> So there have to be a "tunnel"-protocol or 1 master in the system.

As you know, Wintest networking broadcast all info on the network.
I do not say it is good or bad, but it is the choice of the developers.
As broadcast could not pass thru internet you need to set a "Virtual Private
Network" which consider all stations on the same network segment, so
broadcast would be possible.
But when any stations are disconnected, because poor RTC modem connections
etc... they don't send their log in real time during the disruption. So some
desynchronisation occurs. The problem is the resynchronisation of all logs
when the station comes back on the VPN. Not easy to code this and I hope
Olivier will propose a solution.
A central repository may be a way to explore, it is the Writelog solution,
but you need a great web guru to set it. And the repository must be on a
rock solid Internet connection (or redundant).
Every new connection the station upload his log and download the station log
missed.
Not really easy!

> Perhaps somebody needs the same configuration.....

In fact, only one signal on the same band/mode is allowed, so if you want a
multiplier station far away the run one, how do you synchronise the PTT of
the two transceivers ;-) Just merge the different stations log at the end...
Or put the multiplier station in the same shack with same network segment as
the run station. (I do not want to be the op. in this case apart if the
antenna is far away the run one)

> I'd be happy about getting such feature in a great
> contestsoftware like
> WinTest....

Yes it is great, and Wintest networking is also great!
During WPX CW 2005 TM4C Multi/2 we had exactly the same log on the two PC
after 48h, but the two PC was on the same network segment (about 5m of
network cable).
It seems a resynchronisation exist, because one PC ha been rebooted (not
Wintest fault) and corrections occurred, maybe Olivier could explain how it
is done.
Easy with two stns but with 12 + multis!!! And 800+ lines/hour!

> hpe cu de Andi, DL7ZZ

73 - Philippe F6IFY (one of the ops. run 20m CW TM0HQ 2003/4 @ F6BEE) ;-)
But not this year :-(