[WT-support] WT & WAE

Matthias Jelen Matthias.Jelen at gmx.net
Tue Aug 16 10:20:02 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

this weekend we participated in the WAE CW with the callsign DQ4W (at
DK0MN). We operated M/S and set up a second mult station.

WinTest (2.19.2) perfomed very well! No problems with radio control (2 x
TS-850s), PR or network.
Great: Both computers displayed the same score at any time! I didn´t see
this with other windows-based contest programs yet.

Here just some remarks / ideas which came to our mind during the contest:

- QTC traffic: I once lost 10 QTCs because I unintentionally pressed "ALT -
L" and confirmed. This was absolutely my fault! But is there any need to
type in QTCs and close the window without saving them? How about: Open the
window this ALT - L, type in whatever you like, and close it with "+" (as it
is now) or "Alt-L", always saving the changes? This would be easier for me
after several hours of operating...

- CW: It would be really neat if you could connect a paddle to the LPT port
so you had always the same speed as set in SW (or maybee even a programmable
offset). Maybee for a future version?

- Spots in the Bandmap: On Sunday I did a lot of S&P, looking for stations
which didn´t give QTCs to us, even if they were dupes. Maybee you could
display the number of missing QTCs in the bandmap in brackets, like A61AJ
(10) ?

- I had some trouble setting up LPT keying on on computer. It didn´t help to
change the hex - address of the LPT - port in WT, I had to change it in the
windows hardware settings. I´ll try this again and report, maybee I made a
mistake.

- 2.19.2 also not working with my Icom and TenTec :-(

- License: For single operator activities the license connected to the
hardware works fine. I can prepare my PC and take it with me to the contest.
However, for multi - op activities this can be difficult. At ALL multi - op
activities I participated in lots of people brought their laptops. Often
they decided only hours before the contest which PC to bring. Or they
quickly reinstalled the OS to achieve a stable  system. And there are still
a lot of QTHs without internet access. And it will be very hard to convince
people to buy a WinTest license for the use in a M/* contest if they prefer
any other SW for their private activities.
So: I think it would be great to add a kind of floating network license. You
could install this on one PC, every participant could install the demo
version on his PC and get familiar with the software, connect it to the
"license server" during the contest, and have again his demo version after
the contest. Even if you would sell this version at  a higher price it would
be a *great* option.

73s from munich and keep up the great work,

Matthias, DK4YJ / DK0MN