[WT-support] DX Spots filtering

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Fri Dec 17 15:55:22 CET 2004

Hi All

We've been recently asked by Greg AB7R for a spots filtering capability
in Win-Test.

Such an embedded filtering has advantages and drawbacks : The main
advantage (the only one ?) is that you don't need extra software to
achieve it, and you don't need to know cryptic commands to be sent to
your favorite DX cluster. But the main drawbacks are that kind of
filtering, on client side (= WT side), wastes much not-needed Internet
(or radio) bandwidth (which is not very friendly for the rest of us),
and, as the DX clusters designers never standardized the evolution of
the sent data format, it's likely impossible to achieve the same
capabilities among every DX Cluster system (DXNet, Pavillion, AR, DX
Spider, etc...).

To make it short, even if we're considering a  filtering feature in
Win-Test, the easiest way to do it now is to use the one included in the
DX Cluster you're connected to.

FYI, I just downloaded and tried the VE7CC AR Cluster/Dx Spider User
Program (http://www.ve7cc.net/). If offers many filtering options (even
US State or VE province spotter originating - Greg are you listening ?
;-) ) and works flawlessly with Win-Test. Note that it only works for AR
and DX Spider clusters. Here's a short description of my setup :

- Once installed, in configuration / Port - logging program, check the
Telnet logging program connection and, in the Data Sent to Logging
Program frame, check (at least) the "DX Spots" box.

- I personnaly used the Telnet node connection, but you can also use a
TNC if you're connecting to an AR or DX Spider local DX Cluster.

- Check if your connection is OK with the Cluster (top of the main
window). You can send usual command with the lower edit field to insure
you're connected.

- Once everything is OK, you can play with all filterning features : Use
the Country and State tabs to adjust your filter (on spotter country, DX
country, etc...). Once set, send it to the cluster : VE7CC software will
automagically translate your clicks in a filter command and send it to
the DX Cluster. The filtering possibilities are countless... (also by
band, mode etc...)

- Now, the interesting part : WT interfacing : [I assume AR User and
WtDxCluster to be on the same computer]. Open WtDxCluster (now packaged
with every version of WT), and configure the DXCluster properties to :
Host = 127.0.0.1 and Port = 7300. You can leave the user and password
fields blank. Then, use the DXCluster / Connect menu. You will be
connected to the DX Cluster THRU AR-User. Thus, in WtDxCluster you will
only get informations you asked for... Afterwards, you can use Win-Test
the usual way : Spots will be displayed in bandmaps and Spots window.